Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Shell Experience


It was thrusday evening, i was about to get back home and i realised tht i have to fill fuel in my bike. This time i went to a Shell outlet in the AECS layout. It had 12 counters in total. There was a seperate counter alloted for two wheelers. I entered the booth from wrong side and a security gaurd politely guided me to the right counter and told me the right side to enter the bunk. The employee at the counter, smiled at me and said "Namaste, Welcome to shell" . I was bit surprised to hear that and possibly did not even acknowledge his "namaste". I just opened my tank and signaled him to fill for Rs100. He looked into my eyes and said "Namaste" yet again..I was certainly bowled over by this repeated courteous greetings. This time i said 'aaann..namste namaste.. hundered rupees"

Shell employee (in kannada) : "sir you have to get down from the bike"
Me : Its okay, just fill it fast..

Shell employee made polite gestures with folded hand and said "sir please get down from bike, I cannot fill the tank otherwise."I got down from the bike and he told me to look at the LCD display screen that showed the initialzed values: zero against rupees, zero against the amout of fuel filled. He read that out loudly, saying sir please see Zero rupees, Zero literes and todays price is Rs55.45/lit. And finally he filled the fuel. I gave Rs100 and kick started the bike. Barely, i moved away from the counter, he shouted aloud "Sir ,Sir." I turned back and saw him approaching me with a bill. He smiled at me and said 'Sir please collect your bill".

I was surprised and thrilled to experience the american way of customer friendly treatment in our land. It was certainly a good refuelling experience. . In days ahead, when US retail chain open their shops, we can expect lot more of such customer friendly interactions...

Aside:
and finalllllllly the construction of over bridge at Marthahalli has entered into visible state.I could see some work going on.
This morning i saw a blog on gossip in NewYork, it was very nice..may be i shud start one for my town,..I will henceforth call my town as New York.

1 comment:

m.a.t.h.u.a.g said...

well, got to agree...india still got a long way to go on to be customer friendly....anyways, nice post!!!